Friday, January 28, 2005

Forgotten Passages

Thanks go to Rev. Balthrop for turning Job 29:12-16 from a "forgotten passage" into a "memory verse".

When Job wanted to make his case to his friends (and His God) that his hardship wasn't due to his sin, he emphasized righteous acts. And Job wasn't referring to how he skipped a popular R-rated show, or had quiet times every day that week, or that he turned down a friend's offer to grab a beer.

When Job wanted to make his case, here's what he could say:

I put on righteousness, and it clothed me; my justice was like a robe and a turban. I was eyes to the blind and feet to the lame. I was a father to the needy, and I searched out the cause of him whom I did not know. I broke the fangs of the unrighteous and made him drop his prey from his teeth.


Oh how I want to be like this. To be others-centered in my Spirit-empowered righteous acts, and not just run my checklist.

No comments: