Thursday, March 25, 2004

Spring in the Swampland

We’re enjoying a gentle Spring in Georgia. But with it come the snakes and mosquitoes. While I coached from my office phone, Kristin gathered up her courage, and a tree shovel, and crushed the head of the serpent that had slithered into her flower bed. And we’re back to coating ourselves with bug spray. I don’t mean to sound like a sourpuss; really, I like Spring. But it also gives me the chance to answer a common question from the children, “Why did God make pests like snakes and mosquitoes?”

I won’t go for an exhaustive answer, but here’s what I emphasize. As much as we enjoy the beauty of God’s creation this time of year, the pests, allergies, and other annoyances remind us that God is even more enjoyable, more beautiful, and more delightful than the finest Spring day. Creation, as it now stands, is spoiled. But our Creator remains unspoiled and full of delight!

"The Son breaks out in glory when he shows himself as one who outshines all creation." (Valley of Vision, pg 26)

No comments: