Tuesday, March 30, 2004

The Easy Life

School registration opened yesterday. Several co-workers, parents of pre-K children, actually camped out in the public school parking lot over the weekend to ensure their 4 year old got a slot. Meanwhile, we're struggling with our 4-year old, who has been especially difficult lately. The easy life calls.

My colonel's retirement golf outing was also yesterday. Nice, large houses and new cars surrounded me for several hours. Conversation centered on the refined swing, the best golf clubs, and the right country clubs. The easy life calls.

I have the means to lead my family to an easy life. We could spend more on ourselves while posturing to spend retirement collecting seashells in Florida. I could make my wife's life especially easier right away by freeing her of homeschool duties.

But the things that people say will make us all happier I don't think really will. Big houses, expensive cars, kids off to school, double-income--if this is the easy life, it's only so for a while.

There's the importance of delayed gratification. Not gratification in fine houses and possessions, but in wisdom that only comes through tribulations and gratification in godly children, well-raised.

No comments: