Thursday, March 04, 2004

Chocolate Bunnies and Ju-Ju Beans
An Apology for Skipping "The Movie"

Many people I respect have seen Passion. It's important to note that I consider them more mature in the faith than me. I've enjoyed their reviews of the movie. It's obviously a reverent and powerful film. At the same time, I don't think it'd be beneficial to me. Here are my reasons for skipping "The Movie":

#1. Chocolate Bunnies. I can hardly read the book of Daniel without thinking of dancing chocolate bunnies. This mental residue is left over from watching the VeggieTale video Rack, Shack and Benny. And Goliath is a giant pickle. The image associations I'd pick up from Passion probably wouldn't be so ludicrous, but when I read of the death of Christ I'd rather not think of a movie.

#2. Ju-Ju Beans. Have you heard the vintage Bill Cosby tale about how as a boy he'd get so scared at movies that he'd slide out of his seat and hide on the theater floor? At the end of the movie someone would have to pick the black Ju-Ju beans off his back, because we all know that no one eats the black ones! Besides making some scared, the Passion story is also sacred. Isn't it irreverent to chomp on popcorn and slurp your Big Gulp while watching the sufferings and death of an innocent Man? If I went to the movie, I'm afraid the folks around me wouldn't think so. A sacred story deserves a more sacred setting.

These may just be my strange hang-ups. But when I learned from the current Mars Hill Audio Journal that the average American college student has seen nearly 100 movies for every book he has read, perhaps my hang-ups aren't so bad.

No comments: