Thursday, February 19, 2004

What to do about "Adam and Steve"?

I feel like there's something I should do about the same-sex marriage mess. But I don't know what.

I certainly don't want to give any credence to the notion that the state should be involved with defining marriage. That is clearly outside their sphere of authority. They should simply defer to the historic, orthordox position of the church. However, I am saddened to see pop culture and now the state move farther into licentiousness.

And I hate to see another good word hijacked. "Marriage" will join other abducted terms, such as "Presbyterian", "Evangelical", and "Christian". We'll soon have to qualify the word in order to use it. Here's an example.

To keep from confusing my church with the majority of Presbyterians, I have to describe it as part of a Bible-believing Presbyterian denomination. "Presbyterian" has baggage I have to discard before I can use it. And so now will "Marriage". Soon I'll have to describe my marriage as being "heterosexual". How strange this should sound!

One thing to do seems obvious--pray for repentance. That marital adultery in the church would end. And moreso, spiritual adultery. The church has weakened marriage; the state thinks it can do better.

No comments: