Wednesday, February 11, 2004

After leading a three-day long meeting of about 20 people, I'm exhausted. I guess if Myers-Briggs Type Indicator stuff is right, I'm not much of an extrovert.

Our goal was to move broke aircraft at the field into the depot for repair faster. We scrutinized each part of our process looking for improvement. The behavior of the women on my team puzzled me. Each of these women are known to be hard-working and reliable "make it happen" kind of employees. But when we began to scrutinize processes in their area, they became very defensive and reacted as if we were personally insulting them. A lot of emotions were flying around the room, none were "gentle and quiet". In the end, theirs was the only area left unimproved.

Perhaps it was the three-day long session getting to them. But I can't rule out that it may be an issue of improper roles. The question is not "can a woman do anything a man can?", but, should they? After today's session, I'm all the more thankful for my submissive-embracing wife.



No comments: