Saturday, February 28, 2004

The Songs We Sing

My dad played piano by ear, a little. I remember he liked the tune to Old Danny Boy. Besides that the only music I remember was from an old paint-specked, mono radio. He'd listen to the country music of that day, like Conway Twitty, while he built our house on the farm. I'd usually spend the day playing in the dirt, or practicing hammering a nail straight.

I enjoy the memories of my childhood. At the same time I'm hoping to leave indelible marks on my children by the songs we sing. So far our young group can belt out the first verse of the following songs from memory:

Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending
Come Thou Long Expected Jesus (and other Christmas Carols)
O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing
All Hail the Power of Jesus Name
Crown Him with Many Crowns
Be Thou My Vision
O Worship the King
Rejoice the Lord is King
Come Christians, Join to Sing
Great is Thy Faithfulness
Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us
Holy, Holy, Holy
A Might Fortress is Our God


No comments: