Saturday, July 26, 2008

What is a Healthy Church Member?


Many, and perhaps even the majority of Christians, have a fear of commitment to the church. Two reasons in particular concern me the most. First, some of the most popular churches I know do not practice membership and second, a large number of Christians have an unhealthy desire for independence or autonomy in their personal life. In both cases, many Christians do not practice biblical membership simply because they've never been taught how to or seen it lived out firsthand.

This short book (120 small pages) helps Christians understand what church membership is supposed to be and how God has designed it to help both the local church and you grow in maturity to Christ.

Here are the ten points Anyabwile focuses on:

A healthy church member is an expositional listener
A healthy church member is a biblical theologian
A healthy church member is gospel Saturated
A healthy church member is genuinely converted
A healthy church member is a biblical evangelist
A healthy church member is a committed member
A healthy church member seeks discipline
A healthy church member is a growing disciple
A healthy church member is a humble follower
A healthy church member is a prayer warrior

Each of these ten points receives a chapter-length treatment that concludes with good questions for reflection and application.

I wish I had read a book like this years ago; it may have prevented some painful mistakes I made in being part of a local church.

2 comments:

Dan Layman said...

Tim - thanks for referencing this book. I'll try and read this asap. This issue is of great importance to the church and I am glad that people are writing more about it.

I'm with you as far as wishing I had a better view of church membership in years gone by. I am thankful that God has taught me and has led people to model it for me in a Biblical way.

Sounds like you had a good "staycation"! Thanks for posting all the pics - we enjoy them.

Tim said...

Hi Dan,

I'm glad Megan and you enjoyed the conference in Ireland.

I look forward to hearing about what you're reading as seminary starts up again.