Sunday, July 13, 2008

Humility: True Greatness


Confessing my sins is no indication that I'm sufficiently convinced of their danger in my life. Rather, the fact that I haven't done something as simple as read a book about my most common sins is an indication that I'm not taking my walk with God seriously. So with this book I am beginning to fight back against a sin that has schooled me for years.

I enjoy the ministry of C.J. Mahaney, who is the author of this book and a conference speaker at great events like Together for the Gospel, Ligonier's National Conference, etc. Humility is short and easy to read. But it still packs a punch if pride is a sin in your life.

Tabletalk magazine gave it a glowing review; their only complaint was they wish it was longer.

Here are the points that I don't want to forget in my battle with pride:

  • Pride has one end: self-glorification; it desires to rob God of his due and in fact contends for supremacy with him. The proud person seeks to glorify himself and not God.
  • Pride is ranked by many as the most difficult sin to root out
  • True greatness as biblically defined is not self-glorification but serving others for the glory of God

As with all of C.J. Mahaney's efforts, Humility is focused on the Cross for putting the sin of pride to death and he makes sure to include many practical applications (ex: a list of daily suggestions to fight pride, how to have humility in parenting, in trials, in sports, etc).

No comments: