Monday, May 22, 2006

Want an Instant Family?
by Kristin


Have you ever wished you never answered the phone? I knew who it was—Unknown from area code 317. She had called three times last week. I spoke with her in December, November, and last summer before we adopted Faith. I knew it would tug at my heartstrings, but I took the call today just to see….

While talking to her I kept thinking about Psalm 9 that I had read earlier today.

I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart;
I will recount all of your wonderful deeds.
I will be glad and exult in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.


I was ready to spout out how happy and complete our family is. We may adopt later, but not now.

If you haven’t guessed the call was from a Miss L at an adoption agency. We networked with several. We still get about one or two emails a month to see if we have adopted yet as they ran across our file. Yet I had talked to Miss L in December and explained that we adopted and wanted to wait until the new baby was at least a year old.

The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed,
a stronghold in times of trouble.
And those who know your name put their trust in you,
for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.


Miss L explained that she knew we had adopted already, but wondered if we could provide a home for a Black American 3 year old boy. He would be turning 4 later this month. She went on to say that the agency never, hardly ever, placed older kids, but Miss L explained that they had 5 placed already this year and it was only May! Since we had a Black American baby girl, would we be interested in considering a brother for her?

Sing praises to the LORD, who sits enthroned in Zion!
Tell among the peoples his deeds!
For...he does not forget the cry of the afflicted.


She then went on to mention that the boy had a sister that was 4 and turning 5 next month. It would be preferable to keep the sibling group together, but understandable if we could not.

I can not say no. I told her I did not think we were the right family. Tim and I have always talked of 4 to 6 kids, but lately 4 to 5 seems to be feeling like the max we could handle. I then reminded her that we have 4 kids now. She had overlooked that on our application, noted it, and was still hopeful that we would send our portfolio.

Miss L mentioned the price—total cost of the adoption for both kids. It was less than what we spent in August. She then went on to mention that the Mom of the children is pregnant with a 3rd child due next month, different father, this child would be bi-racial. It would be so easy to have an instant family of 7 in just under a month.

For the needy shall not always be forgotten,
and the hope of the poor shall not perish forever.


Surely there are other Christian families who would open their homes to these precious kids. My heart strings are tugging and my engineering brain is calculating. Miss L was so hopeful we would be able to provide a home for these kids. We pray for a home for them to be found soon.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wow. That would be so difficult. Every time I hear of something like this I just want to go out and adopt a child in need. It's hard to accept the fact that we can't take them all. I pray that one day God will allow us to reach out to a little one in this way.