Friday, May 12, 2006

Today's Christian Youth

Our children's piano teacher, who I believe is 16, was in our home this evening while we were out. She has been raised in a Christian home and attends the largest church in New Mexico, a Calvary Chapel.

When we returned home, she told me she liked this book a lot, holding up our Trinity Hymnal. I told her it was our church's hymnal. I'm not sure, but the look on her face told me this may have been the first time she has seen a hymnal.

She turned to the back and said, "it has the Apostles' Creed in it. I thought that was Catholic. I've never read it before, except when I went to mass with my friend. I loved going to mass. I gotta go. Bye!"

Is such an utter lack of Christian knowledge peculiar to this one young lady, or is it representative of most of today's Christian youth?

1 comment:

Derek Detweiler said...

It's a lot more prevalent than just her. There's a huge swath of churches for which the Apostles' Creed cannot even be found written down anywhere in the church, let alone inhabiting a place in the service.

In fact, I had never even read it until I was in college, and I have grown up in church.