Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Turning back on the day of battle

The way I see the world, every Christian has a place in an epic battle fought on many fronts. For some the battle is waged on the border of Kenya and Somalia, urging Muslims to be reconciled to God. It is fought in the inner cities of America, pouring out your life for the "undeserving." For others the battle is at home, raising up the next generation of warriors. Every Christian is to fight the old man, putting to death what is worldly in them.

So am I meanspirited if I get frustrated by believers who stand on the sidelines of the battle, not taking part in it but instead securing more and more "personal peace and affluence" for themselves? Not everyone will fight the same way, nor with the same devotion, so I am careful not to judge those I do not know. But when I look up from my battle, even this pathetic fighter can feel like he's the champion on the field only because so few are fighting.

In ancient times, the enemies of the Christian were loud and obvious--gladiators, lions, burning stakes. Today's enemies are much more dangerous--apathy and affluence--they lull the believer into nominal Christianity that attempts nothing for God.

The Ephraimites, armed with the bow, turned back on the day of battle
Psalm 78:9

No comments: