Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Why I Write

Today is the first anniversary of this blog. Seems like a good time to think through why I write.

I write for myself. Blogging is a good forcing function for meditating on the Scriptures and life "under the sun". It helps me capture a fleeting thought. Writing forces the thought to take shape. My 6-year old son isn't content to watch butterflies flitter across our yard. Net in hand, he runs off intent to catch and understand them. Likewise, the Scriptures shouldn't just "walk by" me during a morning devotion, it's better that I wrestle them throughout the day. A morning devotion starts the match, the evening blog entry ends the bout.

I write for others. We're called to edify, and I see a need for this in the blogosphere. Most blogs about discipling a family belong to the ladies (and my wife and I profit greatly from them). As far as I can find, the majority of blogging men focus on theological, cultural, or political hot buttons. There's a place for that, but we could use more manly blogs that reflect a father's heart turned towards his family. I try to contribute to that need.

No comments: