Monday, April 26, 2004

Every Idle Word

A collage of interesting things I heard throughout the day...

Farewell Speech from a Captain
My friend's farewell luncheon was today; it was well attended. He's a PCA guy and has done well at work. His farewell remarks were polished and moving. But I was a little disappointed that he didn't work any gospel into his remarks. That does take some guts and more discretion.

I'll have my chance in a couple of weeks. I've been told that when God gives you a canon, you fire it. That's what I plan to do.

Commander's Call
The new General on base remarked, "My priorities are faith, family, Air Force. You might be surprised to hear a General Officer put service to his nation in third place. But if my top two priorities aren't right, then #3 can't be done well."

"I make tough choices on these priorities every day. Friday I had to choose between going to my son's baseball game or attending a gathering of 600 volunteers on our base. This time I chose to be with my son. He says I don't do that enough."

[I liked his point. Saying you have priorities is easy, but they're proven through tough choices that pit one priority against the others. But, I wished he would have proven that faith is his first priority with an example of it bumping everything else.]

Two Men on a Bus
Man 1: "Now that we have super churches there's a lot more offered. There are courses on Finances, Marriage...so many things the small churches haven't had."
Man 2: "What do the big churches use?"
Man 1: "They buy the books for you. The little churches can't do that. They just teach from the Bible."
Man 2: "I guess there's a place for that, too."
Man 1: "Yeah, there is a time for that. But the books have direct quotes from the Bible. Plus they also have really helpful thoughts on all kinds of topics, too."

No comments: