Tuesday, April 20, 2004

What Do I Do Now?

My colonel retired Friday. His charisma was unmatchable; think "most popular guy in high school" and that's him at 40-something. He'd motivate you from a top the conference room table during staff meeting. He'd cut a flip on the way to the podium just to "set the stage". His wit and charm earned him the tite, "Mr. Hollywood". He's a powerful leader. But he's also honestly mistaken. During officer calls he'd boldly and repeatedly state that family (his wife and two kids) has not been first; the Air Force is. It wasn't a confession but a proclamation. He echoed this during his retirement reception, with his wife sitting in the front row.

At least he's honest, many men say that family is first but their life proves otherwise. For my colonel, now that he's retired, it'd be interesting to know how his family adjusts to his re-entry after 26 years. But, like most "successful" men, it probably won't take long for him to find something else to make first.

Speaking of "what do I do now", after a cram-packed year I finished my last Air Command and Staff College exam today! My evenings are free again! Well, that is, until I become a full-time student in June for a year.

No comments: