Tuesday, July 22, 2003

What is the Chief End of Man?

This familiar catechism question tells us that glorifying God and enjoying Him forever is the reason we were made. But how much instruction have you received on God's glory? We know we should do all things to the glory of God, but I suspect that most folks couldn't explain how or why.

This morning I finished John Piper's God's Passion for His Glory which essentially is a long preface by Piper and then Jonathan Edward's The End for Which God Created the World. I find Edwards always exhaustive to read, largely due to his slow, methodical way of making his propositions. But this tendency becomes a strength when he grapples with the glory of God. I plan to post some of the book's highlights here within the next week.

But my question today is since we know glorifying God is so important, indeed ultimate, why do we hear so little teaching on glory? The most I can recall over years of sermons, radio programs, books, etc is that glory means weighty. That's not much to build your life around. Edwards gives us a marvelous trove of insight into this supreme passion of God.

No comments: