Friday, July 11, 2003

The "Greatest Generation"?

One of the local reformed churches we've been attending held a "Men of the Covenant" meeting last night. I was excited and looked forward to getting to know the men better. I was disappointed.

I arrived on-time and walked into the meeting where the average age was in the 70s! I was hoping to get to know some of the senior generation (which have been largely absent in my past churches) but also expected some men more my age. There were none.

I sat at a table with a few of the gentlemen and my respect quickly soared upon learning they had been farmers and served in WWII. But my respect quickly plummeted when their talk soon turned to "n*ggers" and lingered there! And to a lesser degree, the loose women of their military youth.

As ludicrous as this sounds after dinner we sang "Jesus loves me" and "Jesus loves the little children" and a couple of hymns from an old worn Armenian hymnal. This all felt awkward. Then we ended with a brief devotion (by the way I was the only man that brought his Bible). I was already in dismay at this time, and nothing in the devotion really changed my opinion about this group.

Is this a racist church? Is this an Armenian church? I don't think so on either count. But it appears the church leadership permits inconsistency to run unchecked among its base of senior members. It would be difficult to admonish 70 year old men that have had a life-long problem with race and doctrine. Their love for Christ hasn't penetrated the core of who they are. But the church's love for Christ demands that His Bride be spotless.

No comments: