Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Blood, guts, and eternity

Today I had a self-aid, buddy-care class; recurring training for military folks. Part of the class entails watching a gratuitously bloody film instructing us how to handle a whole range of battlefield injuries. It's not for the squeamish.

High-energy explosives and chemical/biological agents create very nasty casualty situations. I think all servicemen (and regrettably servicewomen, too) shudder to think of themselves being injured in such grotesque ways. We are all afraid of the reality of this kind of death.

I've heard about a recent survey showing that the average American only thinks about death rarely (I forget the exact statistic), but I know the folks in my class did today. And these words come to mind, "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)

If we are repulsed at the thought of blood and guts, shouldn't we show more concern about the conscious, eternal torment that our family, friends, and neighors will suffer if they die without Christ?

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I am probably one of those who thinks about death too much. I have often thought that we can not even begin to understand the offense of our sin to a holy God and the torment that those will experience when His wrath is poured out on them. On the other hand, I don’t we can fathom the richness of his mercy toward his children. Let us continue to prayer for those who do not believe.