Wednesday, July 05, 2006

My sin is pride

That's a song title off a recently released bluegrass CD that I enjoy, and a fitting autobiographical statement.

Suffering, the necessity of it and our cowardly avoidance of it, is a recurring blog theme here. I know too little of it myself. I think back to days before children when I would relish evenings for their entertainment and mornings for sleeping in, ambivalent to Scriptural responsibilities that called for me to make use of that brief, less encumbered time with intensified service in Word and deed. Now that the pattern of ease has been set, it is hard to alter course.

But more on my mind this week is the deadly danger to suffering and sacrifice--it is pride's fuel. Generous giving, fasting, abstinence from all manner of vice is fine food for the flesh. As has been said, even my repentance wants repenting of.

No comments: