Saturday, July 29, 2006

Feel the force of truth



After hearing for years and from a number of people how good this book is, I finally checked it out of our church library. This book represents a lifetime of study for J.I. Packer and his collected writings on the life and faith of the Puritans.

Many folks have no desire for theology. Others study theology in a way that feeds pride and hardens the heart. This book is a powerful and pervasive remedy to both. Packer touches effectively on seemingly everything, from prayer to match-making to evangelism to vocation and beyond, bringing out the best quotations from a treasure chest full of Puritan theology.

And this is a practical book--an excellent tutorial on how to root and live your life in Scripture. I filled 4 pages of my journal with quotes from Packer and the puritans; more than any other book I've read in years. These men are to be like godly fathers to us--let us not forsake their instruction.

No comments: