Saturday, April 01, 2006

Elapsed Time and Real Growth

We welcomed two families from our Ohio assignment and church to Albuquerque this week. They're moving in just down the street from us!

The last year has brought about substantial changes in our families--more children, less hair--very obvious stuff like that. Is our growth in Christ over the last year as obvious? Elapsed time should be a good measure of real growth.

After dinner we spent some sweet time in worship together; the children making prayer requests for babies-in-tummies, the adults sweetening spring-time air with some psalm-singing in harmony.

I've been thinking lately about whether I understand sanctification properly and was edified by what my friend had to say about it. I asked for a recommendation on the "definitive" book on this topic; he recommends J.C. Ryle's Holiness.

Since there are so many books that folks say are "must reads," I've learned to usually wait until three people recommend the same book to me before I make time for it. A couple other folks have mentioned this book from time to time; if any of my readers have thoughts on Ryle's, or other books on sanctification, I'll appreciate reading them.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Glad they arrived safely. Our loss is your gain. :)