Tuesday, April 25, 2006

At Home in Bounty Land

A google search has put me in touch again with Chris, a friend from high school (in my hometown of Seneca, South Carolina). We also went to Auburn University together, but lost track of each other during that time. Like me, he has moved around the country since then, but is back in SC and even bumped into a couple of our other friends from long ago. Which brings me to a story...

Perhaps my most vivid memory from 5th grade was sitting behind Scott Glenn in homeroom when he spoke about Bounty Land Baptist, the church he attended. You could tell he actually liked it--which was a completely foreign concept to me. I believe he was the first evangelical kid I ever met. The dust on that memory was brushed off last week when Chris told me that Scott is now a pastor at Bounty Land Baptist!

Imagine becoming a pastor in the church you grew up in as a kid! Or to say it differently, I'm struck by the thought that Scott, now in his mid-30s, is serving the church he has loved since he was a boy! In our highly-mobile culture, how often does that happen?

No comments: