Sunday, June 20, 2004

A Work of Necessity


Just after sunrise I saw a strange sight off in the distance while taking Glory out for a morning stroll. From afar it looked like a drunk cat wearing a straw hat. For several minutes the dog and I stood staring at this thing that was aimlessly wandering around the field, occasionally bumping into a tree or a curb in the parking lot.

As we neared the strange animal, we saw that here is a poor little raccoon with its head completely stuck inside a metal can. Who knows how long it had wandered around. The can must of prevented it from realizing that a very eager Border Collie was near by. The raccoon was totally oblivious to our presence.



Being the Sabbath and thinking that perhaps this is like a "donkey that fell into a pit", I decided to help. Here at last, a work of necessity! My first attempt was to kick the can from its side, hoping it would free the raccoon while I remained at a comfortable distance. This resulted in the raccoon spinning around in the air, but landing with the can still firmly in place. A more gentle approach was required. I stepped on the metal can with one foot and this allowed the creature to dig its claws into the ground and free itself.

At this point I thought the fun was over, although Glory laid down in front of it as a sign of friendship (she has no mean bone in her body). But the raccoon was in a bad mood and let her know it with a hiss and growl. We turned to go back to the apartment, but the raccoon, realizing it had no clue where it was, decided to follow us at a comfortable distance.

The furry raccoon decided that our van was a safe looking place and I spent several minutes trying to coax it out from underneath. This failed and it decided to seek better shelter from the engine compartment. So once again the raccoon was stuck in a metal can.

It stayed in our van until we had to leave for church. I opened up the hood and there it was staring at me from on top of the battery! It refused to leap out, and I couldn't succeed in prying it out with the stick I had, so it got a free ride to church this morning (a 30 minute drive). Once there I opened up the hood and as far as I know it hopped out during worship.


1 comment:

Barbara said...

That is an amazing story! I'm sorry I missed talking with you at church yesterday. I've had a lot of experience with raccoons. I used to hand feed them every night...before I had a dog. They really are tame, curious animals. I've petted many a wild raccoon (though I wouldn't recommend it) and I would probably have attempted to just pick him up with my hands. But, the wooded area near church will make a good home for him.