Friday, May 09, 2003

Hangin' with David Brainerd. If you've read the journal of this early American missionary, you'll recall that most of his reflections were depressive. He was constantly beset with difficulties which continually reminded him that he could only find delight in God.

Today I find myself in need of this reminder again. We've had a week of sickness in the home (Isaiah and Kristin). Most depressingly, I've just been informed that a long and godly friend of mine now finds his conscious in conflict with a core doctrine of the Christian faith. I don't feel it's appropriate to elaborate on this in such a public forum, but this is a huge disappointment to me. Another report comes in of persistence in a man-centered gospel at a church that is very dear to me.

But nothing is arbitrary--God's purposes shall prevail. He has not changed; He is my rock.


No comments: