Friday, June 30, 2006

With patience and teaching...

...do the work of an evangelist (2 Tim 4:2-5). I met again with my Mormon co-worker this week, it was a very good meeting. The more we talk through the Bible and the Book of Mormon, the wider the separation grows between the LDS faith and that of historic, orthodox Christianity.

For instance, the Book of Mormon clearly and strongly rebukes people like me who say that the Bible is God's only special revelation to man. Consider this passage from 2 Nephi 29,

"Many of the Gentiles shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible." To this God is said to respond, "because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written." (verses 3, 10)

My take-away from our meeting was that the Book of Mormon has taught my friend that there are holes and gaps in the Bible and that some of God's revelation has probably been lost over time. There may even be holes and gaps in the Book of Mormon (although less of them). The result: he has less confidence in both books than I have in the Bible alone.

The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always found it funny that Joseph Smith did his alleged translation in the 1820's, but rendered it in "King James" English that was already 200 years old. It would seem that he thought if the Book of Mormon sounded like the KJV Bible, it would have greater acceptance. Over time, however, this has become an embarrassment.