Saturday, June 03, 2006

Don't know a whit

Tomorrow is Whitsunday. "Whit" is short for white, the color of the robes that were worn by those baptized on Easter. Whitsunday is better known in America as Pentecost, the day we remember that the Holy Spirit descended upon the disciples in power just as Jesus had promised (Acts 2).

There was a time when I didn't know a "whit" about the Holy Ghost. In 1994 I had several charismatic friends who had convinced me of the need to speak in tongues. I joined them for a "tongues" church service, and prayed with tears for this gift.

And a number of Mormons over the years have described to me their personal pentecost experience as the confirming mark of being in the true faith.

Someone has said that the Holy Spirit is the most misunderstood member of the Godhead, and that fits with what I see in the Church today.

What more appropriate prayer could be prayed on this day than for the Holy Spirit to lead the Church into all truth concerning Himself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tim,

I've recently begun browsing some blogs, and on Barb's I came across a link to one called "The Wrestling Mat" I thought, "This sounds interesting."

Glad to have found you.

We were thinking about you this week as we completed our fifth annual canoe camping trip. I have to tell you that last year we crashed early on the second day and broke a hole in the bottom of the boat. Our first full-fledged defeat. This year we made it out with only an eye infection.

Hope you'll try canoeing again some day.

Well, I'll be snooping around from now on. This blog stuff is really quite addicting.

In Christ,
Brad Peppo

Tim said...

Brad, it's great to hear from you.

I am a wimp when it comes to rivers! I only had one near-death experience and I've given up my paddles. Besides, there's not many opportunities around here.

I hope the Peppo family is well. The Overbeeks and Lilivejens are getting settled well out here.