Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Living on Aloha Time

Kristin and I arrived back home in Albuquerque today after 5 nights in Hawaii. It was great to have her with me on this TDY, especially since it was our 12th anniversary.

It felt odd having so much time together with nothing really pressing to do. We're not used to living on Aloha time.

Here's the view from our hotel room on the 24th floor overlooking Waikiki beach.



We enjoyed Bishop Museum where several times the role of missionaries was highlighted in abolishing the Hawaiian caste-like system called taboo, specifically and repeatedly calling these missionaries "Calvinists!" There's also a Missions Museum nearby but it was closed during our free time.



We also took the Dole pineapple plantation tour, enjoyed some pineapple ice cream, and I learned that pineapples don't grow on coconut-like trees, which I had previously thought.



On the Lord's Day we worshiped with a classmate of mine from AFIT at a breezy Southern Baptist church where many of the men were sporting Father's Day leis.

He recommended Bellows Air Force Station as a good semi-private beach to visit. It was beautiful; we loved the combination of shore, woods, and mountains.



One of our last stops was a stroll through one of the botanical gardens on O'ahu, as expected it was lush and full of wonder.

We're full of mahalo for our friends at church who did a fantastic job caring for our children while we were away. Isaiah has already asked me when we're heading back to Hawaii so he can have more fun! Alaho time is over for us for a long time, and it was enough. Kristin and I enjoyed the time together, but missed the children. We're pleased to be back where we belong.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Grant and I got our pictures in the little pineapples, too! I also didn't realize they didn't grow on trees until I went there. Glad y'all had a good trip!

Tim said...

Thank you Kelly and please thank Grant for his help, too!

Also, tonight I noticed that yesterday was your birthday! I hope it's been an enjoyable one.