Thursday, June 01, 2006

When They Don't Want You To Come

The last post was about my plans for a evangelistic, neighborhood Bible Study; I'd like you to briefly meet my neighbors.

Living in an Air Force neighborhood organized by rank, our neighborhood is very homogeneous--same pay, same age children, etc. But in regards to Christ, it's night and day. Take a look at this icy exchange from our neighborhood e-mail group. (Keep in mind all kinds of neighborly announcements flow over this distribution).

It began with this invitation to the neighborhood from one of the ladies,

Carla Smith is hosting a study called "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. It is a Christian book and is wonderful. The study will go for 5-6 weeks starting Thursday, June 1. Contact me if you're interested.

I've read Chapman's book; I can't think of anything in it that unbelievers need to worry about. But it's clear that anything "Christian" will upset some of our neighbors. Here's the response that came back as "reply to all",

Please do not include us on e-mails to all for these type of messages.

Thank you.

John and Sally Miller

and this then this one,

I second that.

Thank you.

Jenny

John Piper has said that the Great Commission will not be fulfilled until Christians are willing to go to those who do not want them to come. He was referring to many of the Muslim nations, but the same is true in my own neighborhood, there are many who do not want to hear about Christ. My initial reaction is to say, "fine, we won't bother with you." But the right response is just the opposite. We need to strive to love these people, rather than give up on them, hoping that God will soften their hearts as he has done for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think it is appropriate to include the senders' names in this post without their permission?

Tim said...

Those are not their real names. Next time I'll mention that.