Saturday, March 04, 2006

Receiving Discipline

We enjoyed a conversation last night with a group of friends from church about Hebrews 12 and the Lord's discipline.

Perhaps, there is a litmus test for our true intentions in this life. If God were to give you a choice to live in ease and keep your sins, or to have them burnt away through trial, would you say 'give me sanctified affliction'? The answer to this question reveals your true love.

But why do I complain of thee?
'Cause thou'rt the Rod that scourgeth mee?
But if a good child I will bee,
I'le kiss the Rod, and honour thee.
--'Eliza', 1652

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I love Psalm 141 which states in part:

Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth;
Keep watch over the door of my lips.

Do not incline my heart to any evil thing,
To practice wicked works
With men who work iniquity;
And do not let me eat of their delicacies.

Let the righteous strike me;
It shall be a kindness.
And let him rebuke me;
It shall be as excellent oil;
Let my head not refuse it.