Thursday, March 09, 2006

Ligonier Ministries Conference Day 1

A couple of blogs I read have already commented on today's conference favorably; I agree with them. I'll just add some other observations.

The conference lecture hall has a wonderful organ; it vibrates your bones from 50 rows back. Plus, the Westminster Brass are delightful. But surprisingly, I enjoy singing in a smaller setting (like my church) with folks I know. Still, I'm glad it's part of the conference.

Demographics always interest me. The average attendee's age here is probably somewhere in the 50s, not many folks in the 20s here. I'm pleased that there is some racial diversity, although more would be better.

Hearing MacArthur was a delight. He presented the history of the battle for the Headship of the Church--is the head the Pope, the Crown, or the Christ? He relied on notes a good deal, but his message was still mesmerizing. It was peppered with refreshingly inflammatory quotes from the Reformers about how the Pope is the anti-Christ and the pluck of the Scottish Covenanters. He showed that the headship battle is still fought today by Roman Catholic dogma, modern liberals, and emergent church types.

Sproul spoke on four Church attributes: one, holy, catholic and apostolic. He gave a great Jon Hus/Martin Luther anecdote and an immensely helpful presentation on how New Testament revelation must be apostolic. I'll use that during my next meeting with my Mormon friend.

Tomorrow's a full day that I eagerly await.

No comments: