Sunday, February 19, 2006


Sunday Morning Climbs

I need help climbing Mt Zion on the Lord's Day. My help has to be patient and strong; I'm a slow climber and the trek to corporate worship can put me in the foulest mood.

What I have found to be a great help in that climb is the lectionary readings for Sunday mornings. Week after week it provides surprisingly strong aid for the ascent. For instance, this morning's readings comprised short selections from the Psalms, Joshua, Ezekiel, Deuteronomy, Proverbs, 2 Timothy, Matthew, Luke, and Mark. Each passage lent a strong hand in getting me properly up to Mount Zion.

My other faithful trail guide is the Valley of Vision. This morning I was prayerfully reminded,

this is thy day,
the open door of worship,
the seal of the sabbath to come,
the day when saints militant and triumphant unite in endless song.

The veil is torn aside and I find thee ready to hear,
waiting to be gracious,
inviting me to pour out my needs,
promising to give more than I ask or think.

I'm not going to miss that. Let's get up that mountain.

No comments: