Monday, February 27, 2006

Destroying Arguments, Slowly and Gently

We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God (2 Cor 10:4-5)

And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone...correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth (2 Tim 2:24-25)

I had a fourth meeting today with a Mormon co-worker to discuss the historic Christian faith. I'll need help before we meet again.

I've pointed out theological problems, logical fallacies, archeological discrepancies, historical absurdities, and even DNA evidence that all show that Mormonism cannot be true. But his faith continues to rest in the Mormon prophets' claim that they receive direct, authoritative revelation from God even to this day. So at our next meeting I will present the case for why the canon is closed, and he is to present the rationale for the continuation of direct revelation to Mormon prophets. This will be a new research area for me, so any help is appreciated.

Most of all we need the Helper to strip the blind-fold from my friend's eyes. And I need to be patient and remember that the goal is not to win an argument, but a soul.

No comments: