Saturday, February 04, 2006

Causing Offense

I've written before about a Mormon I work with that has initiated a discussion with me about whether Mormons are Christians. As I was leaving work for the day yesterday, he came to me again and we spent an hour going over what defines a Christian and if the Mormon faith is a reasonable faith.

It was a civil discussion until near the end. Once he realized that I did not accept his attempts to refute my arguments and would not consider him a Christian, he with a flushed, angry face told me he was offended and off-loaded on me for a few minutes. At one point I had the suspicision he was thinking of striking me.

It will be awkward to continue working with him every day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... Yes, can see how that WOULD be a difficult situation. Q: did you just "not recieve" his rebuttals or did you actually counter his arguments? Well, whatever the outcome is, do just continue to show him proper respect and cordialness so as to keep up the good name of Christ. Perhaps he will yet want to talk again...
Jeremy Mendenhall
victorytutorials.com

Tim said...

Jeremy,

Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed your web site and wish you well with the tutorials. Also, congratulations on your recent marriage!

Regarding my Mormon co-worker, we're having lunch on Monday (13 Feb) to discuss more what defines the Christian faith. I'll probably post about it soon after.