Friday, January 27, 2006

Repeating Pilgrim's Progress

Every other year I find my way back to Pilgrim's Progress. I finished it again last night. Each time new characters stand out from the rest and I make better sense of what Christian is saying during some of the longer conversations with Hopeful.

But I wonder, if Christian's descendant, call him Christian the VI, were to enter yonder wicket-gate today who would he meet with on the way? Many of the same misinformed folks and scoundrels, I suspect. But there probably would be some new acquaintances.

Mr. Therapeutic, Mr. Nice, and Messrs. Sweet and Sentimental, all of the town At-Ease, would be traveling along the way. Surely the way must also pass near a great university where Christian, VI would encounter the aged Dr. Higher Criticism and the always youthful Dr. Po-Mo.

Interestingly, Christian today has no need of different friends than his ancestor enjoyed. Evangelist, Faithful, Hopeful, and the refreshment provided by the Lord of the way still supplies all a Pilgrim needs.

Now, reader, I have told my dream to thee,
See if thou canst interpret it to me.

No comments: