Friday, January 13, 2006

Good Fences -- Doctrine Defines, and Yes, Divides When Necessary

Christians today seem to think someone is a Christian based on an experience they've had ("I asked Jesus into my heart"), or their morality ("I don't watch Desperate Housewives"). They neglect the role that doctrine should have in defining Christianity. A couple of events from this week reaffirmed to me why we must know what we believe.

I was given an opportunity to explain the Gospel to a Mormon co-worker yesterday on the way back from a luncheon. He felt that Mormons were Christians because he believes he is saved by grace through faith.

I agreed that we have similar salvation language, but the problem is, we have different Gods. He thought I was overemphasizing what is really just semantics about deity. I then explained the need to define what is Christian faith, and used the Nicene Creed to do so. I explained how it says that the Christian God is a triune God and defines what that means. He responded, "then by that definition I am no Christian." Interestingly, he came back to my desk today with a statement from the LDS prophet that says that they do not affirm the Nicene Creed, yet they are Christians. Well, one of us has the wrong definition of Christian! And I hope to continue the discussion.

Another event happened this week to Kristin that also shows that we must know what we believe. She was having dinner with a couple of ladies from our neighborhood who were talking about a Muslim neighbor. One of the ladies, who professes Christ, said that the Islamic lady and her have talked and they can't find any real differences in what they believe.

Creeds, Confessions, and Catechisms have been used by the Church for centuries to define what is the historic, orthodox Christian faith. Christians today would be well served to better acquaint themselves with them.

No comments: