Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A Plea to Re-think China Adoptions

I'm in Seattle this week for business, but I enjoy talking to Kristin each evening. She tells me we received another urgent phone call from an adoption agency desperately looking for a home for a soon-to-be born baby. Before we took our name off the lists (after adopting Faith) we received several phone calls like this every week!

If I can be less-than-nice for a moment, I know several families who are waiting to adopt from China despite that country's recent decision to delay processing applications for adoption for up to one year. So we have the deplorable situation where families who want to adopt, who have their home study done so they can adopt, are waiting for over a year for a baby from China while the fatherless and needy infants of our own country go without Christian homes!

At this risk of judging motives, I think Christians have too heroic a vision of rescuing babies from China. Indeed, it is in vogue now in parts of the Christian community. But while they wait and wait while China dallies around and takes their money, they are effectively denying Christian homes to many needy children in the States. Adopting domestically, if you look outside the Caucasian race, is ordinarily cheaper, quicker, and easier!

If providentially you know a family who is ready to adopt, and would consider what I've said, have them contact me. The baby we heard about today is due early March, and she doesn't have a home.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello -- I am a reformed presbyterian mother who has been interested (with my husband of course) in adoption for years. We would feel so honored to talk with you further on this should you desire. Visit our blog for more info on us!

Tim said...

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for writing. Kristin and I would like to talk to you, but I couldn't find a link to your blog. Can you give it again?

Unknown said...

http://kitchenfamblog.blogspot.com/

Try this. I am sorry. I thought there was a link to my blog through my profile pic. I'll have to work on getting that working. I look forward to speaking with you, should it be the Lord's Will.

Anonymous said...

Don't discount the Western Buddhists in the group of those adopting from China. We are a mixed race family and really want an Asain child and are willing to wait a year for her. Maybe some Americans who are adopting are just to "I want it now" driven to wait for a wonderful Chinese girl.