Sunday, January 01, 2006

2005 in the Books

Each New Year I post what I read during the year just ended. The last couple of years have been meager ones, mainly due to tending to schoolwork in the evenings or moving. But with a break in Air Force schooling (and moving!), I'm hopeful to cover more (and better) ground in 2006. Anyway, here's a list of the books read in 2005 (not counting the Bible or what I read to my children) with a brief analysis at the end.

- Call Of Duty, the Sterling Nobility of Robert E. Lee; Steve Wilkins
- The Cross-Centered Life; C.J. Mahaney
- The Spirituality of the Cross (i.e. Lutheranism 101); Gene Edward Veith
- The Foolishness of God (i.e. is the law of non-contradiction biblical?); Siegbert W. Becker
- Age of Opportunity (parenting teenagers); Tedd Tripp
- Against Christianity; Peter Leithart
- Gilead (twice); Marilynne Robinson
- Plowing in Hope, towards a theology of culture; David Hegeman
- To Conquer the Air (bio of Wright Bros); James Tobin
- Reformed Theology in America, a history of its modern development; David Wells, ed.
- Ministries of Mercy; Tim Keller
- Pickwick Papers; Charles Dickins
- Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment; Jeremiah Burroughs
- Confessing Christ (used in new members class at church); Calvin Knox Cummings

Looking at this list overall, I'm pleased that I read several biographical works, that I read some theology outside of my tradition (e.g. two Lutheran works), and that I read quality fiction (i.e. Dickens and Robinson). I'm not satisfied with the amount of reading of books written outside of my time period or outside of the Christian faith. So in 2006 I will try to read more books that are older and also make time for some non-Christian non-fiction (e.g. like Postman, etc).

No comments: