Friday, August 20, 2004

To be Humbled, Yet Not Discouraged

Moments ago I finished a math test in which I did very poorly. After preparing for this test for many extra hours, I still scored well below the class average. How hard it is to not be discouraged, but rather to rightly understand this humbling experience...

O Lord,

My sin is to look on my faults and be discouraged.

You have made me what I am, and placed me where I am;
help me to acquiesce in your sovereign pleasure.

I forget to submit to Your will, and fail to be quiet there.
But Scripture teaches me that your active will
reveals a steadfast purpose for my good,
and this quietens my soul and makes me love You.

All my distresses and apprehensions prove
that this is but Christ's school,
to make me fit for greater service
by teaching me the great lesson of humility.

(Selections from Valley Vision)

No comments: