Sunday, August 01, 2004

Then I Will Go to the Jews

After talking with many adoption agencies here in Ohio we've asked Jewish Family Services to conduct our homestudy. I hadn't considered them until I heard from a classmate that they "tolerated" his convictions regarding biblical discipline of children. We contacted them and have a good first impression. We'll meet together for the first time this week.

To say the least, it's disappointing that the Christian adoption agencies we tried first were just as skeptical of biblical discipline as the secular ones.

I wonder...can the adoption process be taken back from the State, like the pioneers of homeschooling did with education? Why couldn't a church's elders, who are accountable for me and my household before God, vouch that my home is and will remain safe for a child, and the State accept that? Isn't there a need for adoption pioneers to rise up in the Church and find a way to welcome into the Kingdom of God these thousands of orphaned children?

1 comment:

Kelly said...

My friend Janey is close friends with an OB-GYN, and the the Dr. had a patient who wanted to put the baby up for adoption, she told Janey, knowing that Janey's son and his wife wanted to adopt. (Did that make sense?)

Anyway, ISTM that a private adoption would be best, but that's sort of a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Or maybe I should call it Providence.

I'm praying for y'all as you go through this!

Kelly