Friday, May 28, 2004

Church Invitations

Part of a new assignment is getting out-of-the-blue invitations from people I meet to attend their church. Usually I know that their church wouldn't be a good fit for my family, but I appreciate the person's invitation. But conveying this can be difficult.

Today while entering an auditorium for a briefing I was invited to a large Baptist church. I only had a moment to reply, so I said, "How's the preaching?" His brief response painted a sad picture all too common today.

"Well, it's okay", my friend said a little surprised at my question, "the preaching is not very deep. You get that in a small group which meets during the week".

I declined the invite, but not without feeling blue for those that worship at a place that minimizes the preached Word.



No comments: