Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Cardboard Cottage

I type this from what is left of our home. Except for the computer, everything else that will fit has been taped shut inside a hundred or so cardboard boxes stacked throughout this house.

There are a 100 things flying around in my mind that I should be doing, but I'd like to record a portion of the remarks I made at my farewell luncheon.

After I led a toast to my co-workers, I sought to honor Christ with these words,

"Any success I've achieved in this job I owe in large part //large part// to Christ. This has been my favorite job in the Air Force, even though it has been stressful at times. I've had one other stressful job, that was flightline maintenance. Over time the pressure got to me. It made me defensive, cynical, bitter, cold. It got to the point that my supervisor counseled me on my bad attitude. And he was right!

"For those that know me, if that surprises you, I want to explain the two most important things I've learned about work during the last year or so. First, the Bible encourages hearty, diligent, excellent work. My God does all things well, and so should I. Second, and don't miss this, I'm slowly learning how not to work or expect affirmation from people or personal reward. Don't get me wrong! These things are good and we supervisors should reward our people. But the point is we don't always get it right. How much better it is that I get to entrust myself to One who judges justly!

"So those two things: Excellent work, Trusting One who judges justly; have kept me from that bad attitude that ruled me before.

"I don't say these things to lecture you, but as a simple way for me to honor Christ. I think some of you have enjoyed working with me or have enjoyed the fruits of my labor. I want you to know it's only because of Christ that you have enjoyed that. If it wasn't for His work it would have been a whole different experience."

No comments: