Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A prayer on year's end and the one ahead


O Lord, my Love beyond compare,


Your goodness has been with me during another year,

leading me through a twisting wilderness,

in retreat helping me to advance,

when beaten back making sure headway.


Your goodness will be with me in the year ahead.

Length of days does not profit me except the days are passed

in your presence, in your service, to your glory.


You have veiled my eyes to the waters ahead,

but I rest knowing that if you have appointed storms of tribulation,

you will be with me in them;

If I have to pass through tempests of persecution and temptation,

I will not drown;

If I am to die,

I shall see your face the sooner;

If a painful end is to be my lot,

grant me grace that my faith fail not.


Only glorify yourself in me whether in comfort or trial,

as a chosen vessel fit always for your use.


Amen.


[adapted from Valley of Vision, pages 111-112]