Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Call Me Ishmael

I'm nearing the end of two weeks of mid-terms with just a Satellite Communications take-home exam standing in the way. But this exam is so out of my league that I'm up much of the night and a grump to be around during the day. It's disappointing that I have let one little test cause so much havoc in my family's life.

This morning I was meditating on the time when Abraham was told to cast out Hagar and Ishmael for dishonoring the child of promise. They were soon lost in the desert, thirsty and in despair, completely oblivious to the oasis in front of their noses. Instead of calling out to God for help, instead of remembering the promises of God, instead of returning to the blessing-bearer, they wallowed in self-pity and frustration. Sounds like someone else I know.

Graciously, God has opened my eyes and I've regained my perspective. I've repented to my family and, who knows?, maybe I can even figure out how to talk to satellites.

No comments: