Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Blogs: Helpful or Harmful?

Ken Myers of MARS HILL AUDIO presents good reasons not to blog, but I have learned several helpful things from those that do. Two recent examples:

1. From Holy Experience I picked up this Jim Elliot quote, "Wherever you are, be all there." This reminder is especially useful for warding off daydreams during math class.

2. More importantly, a post on pietism at Bunnie Diehl has caused me to focus more on "God's love for us" than "our love for God". A reader defined pietism as "making our love for God the main focus of Christianity, instead of His love for us." A clear-cut way to apply this distinction is with worship music. Contemporary songs like I want to Know You are "our love for God" kind of songs. On the other hand, the best hymns are often the "God's love for us" type. Consider this line from Not What My Hands Have Done:

Thy love to me O God,
Not mine, O Lord, to Thee,
Can rid me of this dark unrest,
And set my spirit free!

No comments: