Sunday, July 18, 2004

Thy Word is a Lamp
 
I worshipped at a reformed Episcopal church for the first time today.  Much of the liturgy was new to me, but one new part in particular moved me.
 
I'm accustomed to standing during the reading of the Scripture to be preached, but in this church the reading was handled in even a more reverent and inspiring way.  As the congregation rose and sang Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, the acolyte proceeded from the alter with a cross followed by the rector holding up the Word of God.  They stopped in the middle of the congregation, we turned to face the rector and the singing quieted.  Then, in the midst of the people, the words of Christ from St. Matthew's Gospel were spoken to us. 
 
This approach presented a vivid reminder that our Lord humbled Himself, dwelt among those He came to save and with Him we have the very Word of God.     

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Isn't that cool? I love the Episcopal worship service. I'm reading Jeff Meyers' The Lord's Service that explains the Biblical reason why liturgical services are ordered the way they are - so far I'm only in the second chapter, so I don't know if he touches on this way of reading the Gospel, but it is so cool they way the congregation turns to face the pastor as he reads from the center aisle.

Now if they would only quit printing the Scripture passages in the bulletin, so people would actually look at the pastor while he's reading...

Kelly

Tim said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. I ordered a copy just before we moved and I need to start reading it.