Monday, July 19, 2004

A Gospel-Haunted Life  
  
We're learning the hymn, Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah.  Lyrics like, "open now the crystal fountain, whence the healing stream doth flow", and "be thou still my strength and shield" are full of faith and love. 
 
Many folks love hymns like this, partly because the tune is familiar, and partly because the language rightly commends faith in God despite adversity.  
 
But when does our life get beyond the mere enjoyment of these sentiments?  Why don't I live more like God is "my battleshield, sword for my fight", "mine inheritance now and always",  and "his kingdom is forever"?
 
If I give intellectual assent to the power, love, and faithfulness of God, but live as if I don't really believe it, I'm only letting the Gospel haunt me.  How much better to believe, to trust, to act in faith!      

No comments: