Friday, August 08, 2003

School's In

Our children's neighborhood pals disappeared today. The last few days they've excitedly told of their new backpacks, clothes, and shoes. Kristin adeptly perceived that our children may feel a little left out. So she planned some special family events today that are only possible because they are homeschooled and not "away-schooled".

Over the next couple of years I want to consider the effect of living on a government installation. Most days I never leave the base. The school, church, restaurants, shops, and houses are all government owned and ran. To host a children's Bible club at "my" house this summer required paperwork and approval from two different base agencies. I'm unsure about my family's rights of free speech, assembly, etc.

Kristin is reading Charlotte Mason and realizes that we do not offer much in terms of craft-training compared to previous times. Glue-sticks and paper-plate faces can only last so long and don't equip the children with anything lasting. Fortunately Kristin's mom taught her to sew and cook and this can be passed on. I, on the other hand, possess no manly crafts beyond the push-mower and a love of books. I am concerned about what level of manliness I can inculcate into my sons. Thankfully, my children are still young enough that even a visit to my office cubicle is inspiring to them. But I know the cubicle is no breeding ground for manliness and some day I want my sons to realize that, too.

No comments: