Monday, August 18, 2003

Form and Substance

How much does God care about how His people worship Him? I want to learn more about the importance of "form" in worship. The last several years I've been more involved with the "substance" of worship; mainly the importance of delighting in God. I've been part of a good church that intentionally put substance over form. The worship style was defined by what was likely to cause the worshipper to exalt God. The structure was very simple: call to worship, a series of songs, prayer, and sermon. The sacraments were squeezed in, or done as a separate event, which now seems unfortunate to me.

But after moving here we're spending time in a church that values the form of worship without losing the heart. Here, how we worship God is taken seriously because God is a consuming fire, deserving of reverence and awe, but also worship is delightful because He is our very great reward. The worship is highly structured (compared to my previous experience); but not empty. I leave the service with no doubts that I worshipped God.

What role does liturgy play in making worship acceptable to God? Can worship be God-centered if its focus is on the heart and intentionally not also on form?

No comments: