Thursday, August 21, 2003

Confessing Children

About a year ago a friend showed me how to incorporate into our Family Worship memorization of the Lord's Prayer, 10 commandments, and the Apostle's creed in addition to the children's catechism. Now that my little ones have about learned all of these we rotate through them regularly.

This week while reading Operation World, I got the idea to prepare my children for the potential high cost of a confession. For instance Morroco is 10th on the Persecution Index for opposition to Christianity. It's reported that family members will have each other arrested for conversion to Christianity.

So lately, instead of the usual question to my children, "Baileys, what do you believe?", I expand this a little by pretending that we're in Morocco and someone threatens us with imprisonment based on how we answer, "Baileys, what do you believe?". This helps us remember that the Apostle's Creed isn't just a dry recital.

No comments: