Monday, October 19, 2009

The Land of Enchantment

en·chant·ment: n. 1. The state of being frozen in fear when in the New Mexico desert

I dodged a large tarantula on the way to a meeting today. That's the 7th one I've seen this season. The camoflauge on it's back looked remarkably like a set of desert BDUs!

On a bike ride later in the day a large bull snake was sunning himself in the middle of the dirt road I was traveling. Bull snakes, I'm told, can be aggressively mean, and since I was far from my car I didn't want to pick a fight. With a rock wall on my left and a precipice on the right, my only option was to "calmly" walk around the tailside of his body with the bike between him and me. As I passed by he twitched at me but that was all, thankfully.

Just another day in New Mexico.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I will now stop complaining about the traffic here in No. Va. and in D.C.!
We just have to deal with jumping camel crickets in our basement here....
Hope all of you are doing well!

Melene